Old school cake is a type of cake that has been around for centuries. The ingredients include flour, eggs, butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
This recipe was originally used to celebrate Christmas, but now it is also used to celebrate other occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings.
How to make an old-school cake with white icing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8×8 inch pan or line the bottom tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients; set aside.
- Beat together the wet ingredients in another mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
For the White Icing:
- Combine icing sugar and cream cheese in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly by hand until creamy.
- Spread over cooled cake using a spatula.
- Decorate with sprinkles if desired.
Simple school sponge cake
This simple school cake recipe can be made from scratch or you could use store-bought cakes like angel food cake. It’s easy to prepare and tastes delicious.
- 2 cups of flour,
- 1 ½ sticks of softened cold butter,
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- 4 eggs,
- ¾ cup of sugar,
- one teaspoon of baking soda,
- two teaspoons of cinnamon,
- and three-quarters of a cup of water.
- Mix everything together except the water.
- Add the water slowly while stirring constantly so that you will have a smooth cake batter.
- Bake with oven temperature 375°F
- Baking time 30 minutes.
Let cool then ice with your favorite flavor of whipped topping.
How do I know if my cake is done?
The best way to tell whether your cake is ready is to insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If there are no moist crumbs stuck to the toothpick then you can remove the cake from the oven.
However, if any moisture remains on the toothpick when removed from the cake, then the cake needs more time in the oven.
You may want to test this method after about 15 minutes so that you don’t overcook your cake.
Furthermore, you should always check the temperature of your cakes because they will continue cooking even after removing them from the oven.
To determine their readiness, simply touch the surface of the cake lightly with your finger. It should feel slightly warm to the touch.
Cake baking Tips:
If you’re looking for some extra tips on how to bake perfect cakes, here’s what we recommend:
- Always preheat your oven correctly. This means setting the thermostat to 400° F instead of 300° F.
- Use only fresh ingredients. You’ll get better results if you buy quality products rather than cheap ones.
- Don’t forget to grease pans properly. Greasing the sides of the pan helps prevent sticking. Keep all utensils clean. Make sure that you wash your hands frequently during preparation.
- Never leave baked goods out too long. They tend to become stale quickly.
- Store leftovers in airtight containers.
- Make sure that your kitchen is free of odors such as smoke or garlic. These smells can affect the taste of your finished product.
- When making chocolate chip cookies, it’s important not to add too much cocoa powder. Too much cocoa makes the cookie dough very stiff.
- It also affects its texture. The right amount of cocoa gives the cookies just enough sweetness without being overpowering.
- In addition, adding too many nuts increases the chances of burning.
Finally, remember to keep an eye on the oven. Bake longer than necessary to avoid undercooking. Hence, if you are baking a large number of cakes at once, it is best to use two or three racks in your oven so that they can be rotated and baked evenly.